Sunday 13 February 2011

Book 7 - The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas

A man slaps an out of control 3 year old boy at a barbeque in suburban Melbourne. The boy's mother is furious, even more than one might expect given the circumstances, and decides to take the man to court. The on-lookers have their own opinions about who is in the right and as a result, there are rifts created (or perhaps simply highlighted) in families and longstanding friendships are tested. Each subsequent chapter of the book focuses on a different protagonist, introducing us to their character and life situation. Actually, the eponymous slap doesn't play as pivotal a role in the rest of the book as one might expect, it serves more as a focus for other events and ideas.
The central conceit of the book is an interesting one, and we could all relate to the mixed feelings we experience when someone else has to discipline our child because they have behaved badly. However,the question of whether hitting a child can ever be justified wasn't really explored in any great depth. Instead, the book is more of a character study , which would be fine except that most of the characters are so deeply unpleasant it is difficult to feel any real empathy or sympathy for them. The men are vain and obsessed with sex, often with a violent side to their nature, whilst most of the women are fairly 2-dimensional or just very annoying (for example, Rosie, the mother of the slapped child). The friendship between the 3 main women didn't seem believable to most of us, given their different characters and lifestyles.
In its favour, the book is a page turner and an easy read, but overall, the consensus was most certainly a thumbs down.
However, Ulrika's butternut squash soup was delicious again  - thank you very much!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Guys,
    Sorry I couldn't make book club yet again.
    Well as for the book "The Slap" like you all I could relate to the naughty child badly in need of discipline etc. I found the whole story unbelieveable, usual lustful men, boring females whose lives are so removed how could they have remained friends, before and after the event? Well finished the book , it was ok no great surprises there. Cant'ed say I would keep it on the book shelf. Looking forward to the next book .

    We

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't bear the book. Found it boring and a complete waste of time. The characters 2-dimensional and dull,as suggested above.... as was the whole book (well, of what I read anyway).
    However, I have to say that I could somehow "see" many of the characters from observing Greek family-life in Australia/London, being married to a Greek husband. There was something that was quite real, albeit dull about the story, the conversations and characters...
    Not wanting to waste precious space on my bookcase, I have passed it on to a very literary Greek friend of mine. I am intrigued to hear what she has to say.
    ps. Talking of Greek family life. If you haven't yet watched the movie "Dog Tooth"(apparently nominated for Oscar this year), then you really should. Let me know what you think ! Be prepared... it is a bit twisted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi all,
    I couldnt relate to any of the characters either. The other day someone from a different book club(oh,yes ladies - we r not the only book club,Shock!!) excitedly said that the next book they will b reading is the slap. Well I was struggling to say anything other than ;its not my cup of tea and though I found it easy to read it didnt excite me like a good book should. She looked disapointed...
    JL

    ReplyDelete
  4. me again,could someone please let me know what are we reading next? I know about the one day and the help,but what was the third one?
    Thank you
    JL

    ReplyDelete